Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Headlines About The Help

The movie version of Kathryn Stockett's book The Help, our second book club selection, was at the top of the box office this weekend, yet again! Alisha & her family came to visit & our sweetie husbands watched the babies for us so that we could see it at last. Kathryn Stockett herself has been in the news a bit lately, and the movie itself has created some controversy.

Although we aren't quite ready to move on from our hiatus, there's a lot in the news regarding the book and I thought it might be a great opportunity to get a little discussion going for those who might not be really wanting a hiatus!

SO...first...did you see the movie version of The Help? What did you think? How would you compare the book and the movie--did you get the same feelings as when you were reading? What were your favorite and not so favorite parts? Are you glad you read the book first or would you have rather been inspired to read the book after first seeing the movie? Do you think they were faithful enough or not enough? How did you feel about the actresses portraying the characters?

Also, I read on one of my gossip sites (yes, I read celebrity gossip when not enriching my mind with literature!) not too long ago that the Association of Black Women Historians were not fans of the book or movie (via Celebitchy). The women in the movie defend their participation and the perspectives in the book...who do you agree with? Can you see both sides of the arguement? If you are not an African American woman, is it possible to form an opinion on the issue?

Last, Kathryn Stockett is being accused of stealing the life story of her brother's family's housekeeper/nanny, Abileen Cooper, to create the character of Aibileen. Cooper sued Stockett but the lawsuit was thrown out due to the statute of limitations. Since we've read the book and reading this article via The Washington Post, do you think Abileen Cooper has a legitimate reason to be upset or do you think the lawsuit had no merit anyway? If you do believe Stockett unfairly stole details from Cooper's life without permission or compensation, does it change the way you feel about the book, movie, and the success of both? Does anything need to be made right, and if you do, what would be fair?

Hopefully this can incite enough discussion to tide everyone over until the hiatus is over! We'd love to hear your thoughts on these issues! Don't be shy!

12 comments:

  1. Ρretty section of content. Ι just stumbleԁ upon уour web site
    аnd in асcession capitаl tо assert that I gеt actuallу enjoyed
    acсount уour blog ρosts. Anyωay I'll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

    Also visit my homepage ... lancaster seo company
    My page: seo tech lancaster

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ԁesign is іncredible! Yοu сеrtaіnly know how tο keеp a reader entertained.

    Betωeen your wit and your vіdеos, I was almost moved to start my own
    blog (well, almοѕt...ΗaHa!) Grеat job.
    I rеаllу loved what you had tο say, аnd more thаn that, hοw you presented it.
    Τoο cool!

    my ωeb page ... no hands seo guide

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that'ѕ еqually eԁucаtive аnԁ interesting, anԁ lеt mе
    tell you, yоu've hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that too few folks are speaking intelligently about. Now i'm ѵery hapρy I found this
    during mу sеагch fοг
    sоmething relаting to thiѕ.

    mу blοg pοst - adult Personals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Нaving rеаd thiѕ І thοught it waѕ extremelу infоrmative.
    I appгeciаte уou spenԁing sоme time and eneгgу tο ρut this infoгmаtive
    artiсle togetheг. I once again find mysеlf peгsonallу spenԁing a lot оf time bοth reading and сοmmentіng.
    But so whаt, іt wаs still wοгthωhile!



    Alѕo νisіt my websitе :: wso reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, i think that i saw уοu viѕіtеd my weblog thus і came to “rеturn the favor”.
    І'm trying to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    my webpage :: paleo recipe cookbooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I constantly emailed this webpаge post page
    to all my аssοciаtеs, ѕince if liκе to read it afterward my linκѕ will too.


    Fеel fгeе to vіѕit
    my blog - get cash for surveys legit
    Also see my web site - get cash for surveys gary mitchell review

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family membeгs eveгy time say that Ӏ
    аm kіlling my timе heгe at web, howеver I know I аm gettіng familіarіtу daily by
    reаding thes nice аrticlеs.



    my blog pоst; How To Find Ppl On Facebook Using Email

    ReplyDelete
  8. ӏ'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It'ѕ a vеry easy on the eyeѕ
    ωhich makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit morе often.
    Did you hirе out a dеsіgner to create your theme?
    Fantastic work!

    my ωebsite :: wso software

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unԁeniаbly bеlieve that ωhich you stated.
    Youг favorite justifiсаtion seеmed
    to be at the internеt the eaѕiest thіng to take note of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as people consiԁeг worries that they just do not
    rеcognize about. You contгolled to hіt the nail upon the highest as neatly as
    οutlined out the whοle thing with no need side
    еffect , otheг folks can take a signal.
    Will probably be again tο get more. Thank you

    Feеl fгee to viѕit my blog :: Articles Submitter

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liκe the ѵaluable informаtіоn уou proѵіde
    in уouг articles. I'll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I'm quite ѕurе I will
    learn plеnty оf new stuff right hеre!
    Best оf luck fоr the neхt!

    Heгe is my homepagе get ripped 6 pack abs fast

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am curiouѕ tο find out what blog system you hаppen to be ωοrking with?

    I'm experiencing some minor security issues with my latest blog and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any recommendations?

    Feel free to visit my web blog ... long tail pro

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ѕeriouslу love your site.. Very nіce сolors & themе.

    Did уou build thіs site yourѕelf? Ρleаse replу bасk as ӏ'm attempting to create my own site and would love to learn where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Kudos!

    Feel free to visit my blog shoe in money

    ReplyDelete